Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)


Streetcars and Buses Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Washington Street. As the South Cumberland car stopped at the Western Maryland Railroad crossing, the crew and passengers would leave the streetcar and cross Wills Creek by way of a foot bridge to the waiting car on Green Street. The South Cumberland crew would run the car to Rosehill Cemetery and back to Green Street. The operation was reversed and the South Cumberland car proceeded up Baltimore Street to South Cumberland. The first car over the new bridge was manned by motorman Peter Cosgrove and conductor Charles Blake. It was streetcar #24.

On March 7, 1917, the funeral of the late Allen R. Carner took place with services at the South Minister Church. For the convenience of the host of friends attending the funeral, a special trolley car ran from South Cumberland to Rosehill Cemetery. The Masonic Order had a special car from the Masonic Temple on Green Street to South Cumberland, thence to Rosehill Cemetery and back to the Masonic Temple.

On December 28, 1917, two damaged fenders resulted from a collision of cars #24 and #26 of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company on Water Street. A westbound car proceeding across Wills Creek struck an eastbound car turning into Water Street. A quick application of the brakes of both cars prevented a more serious accident, the only damage was to the front fender on each car. The motormen were Frank M. McGee and Herbert S. Wagner. The conductors were Frank S. Kennell and Joseph E. Will.

Commencing September 16, 1918, it cost six cents per ride on the cars of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company. The old fare was five cents.

On October 14, 1918, three men, employees of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company, were arrested by Patrolman Boyd of the Cumberland




ID:
achm109

Page #:
109

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image