Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
Edison Electric Illuminating Company and the Cumberland Electric Railway Company, both of Cumberland, Maryland.
On October 11, 1922, the Public Service Commission in Baltimore signed the approval of the order authorizing the sale of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company and the Edison Electric Illuminating Company to the Edison Power Company and the consolidation of these properties under one ownership.
On March 22, 1923, all of the assets of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company, including shops, barns, machinery, rolling stock, and equipment, were transferred to the Cumberland Edison Power Company in deeds filed in the land records of Allegany County. The transfer included the power plant on Union Street, car barns on North Centre Street, the Narrows Park station, and a lot on Thomas Street. The deed was signed by James A. McHenry, vice president of the company, and Charles G. Holzshu.
On October 31, 1925, the first streetcar through the Virginia Avenue subway under the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad tracks was one of the first streetcars to run over the streets of Cumberland, the streetcar having been purchased in 1895. The Virginia Avenue subway had been finished on October 2 9, 1925.
Effective Sunday, January 2, 1927, coin boxes were placed on all of the streetcars. Passengers would drop their fares into the box placed near the door. The conductors would not have to handle money except to make change.
On January 6, 1927, an electric bell was placed on a telephone pole in front of the Dingle drugstore for the purpose of signalling the arrival and departure of the Dingle streetcars at the terminal, at Thompson Avenue and Green Street, to passengers waiting in the drugstore for the cars. The bell was rung by the streetcar conductor as soon as the car arrived and those who were
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976