Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)


Streetcars and Buses Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



waiting were expected to leave the store immediately to board the car.

On February 15, 1927, the Potomac Edison Company made the following report to the Cumberland City Council. For the year ending December 31, 1926, total earnings were $189,691.09, broken down as follows: advertising privileges, $620.80; passenger fares, $187,881.25; freight, $898.91; and mail service, $290.13. The track mileage was 7.87 miles, with 79.74 percent located within the city limits and 20.26 percent in the county.

3.       When did streetcars stop operating in Cumberland?

The West Side - Rosehill Cemetery streetcar line stopped operating November 16, 1927.

The Dingle, West Side, Maryland Avenue, South Cumberland streetcar line ceased operation at 1:00 AM August 4, 1929.

The South Cumberland, Virginia Avenue, Thomas, South Centre Street, North Centre Street, Narrows Park streetcar line closed down at 1:30 AM on May 16, 1932 when the last streetcar to operate on the streets of Cumberland returned to the North Centre Street car barn. This ended streetcar service in Cumberland.

4.       When did buses begin operating in Cumberland? What route did they operate over?

On May 4, 1914, the first motor bus line to start service in Cumberland operated from the Cumberland City Hall to the Dingle property on the West Side. The fare was five cents for each passenger.




ID:
achm112

Page #:
112

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image