Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
On January 7, 1924, the Potomac Edison Power Company inaugurated a bus line to run from the intersection of Baltimore and Centre Streets to the Kelly-Springfield Tire Plant. This bus route was started at 5:30 AM. A passenger could use a streetcar transfer to ride the bus to the Kelly plant.
On Saturday, April 10, 1926, the Potomac Edison Company extended its local transportation facilities when it inaugurated a bus service from Mapleside byway of Oldtown Road, Hilltop Drive, Williams Street, and Park Street, to its bus terminus at Union Street. Also, it began a route out Bedford Road to the city limits. The bus would return to Centre Street then to Baltimore Street, to Baltimore Avenue, to Decatur Street, to Bedford Street, to North Mechanic Street, to South Mechanic Street, to Harrison Street, and then to the terminus at Union and South Centre Streets.
On October 5, 1927, substitution of bus service for two streetcar lines of the Potomac Edison Company was approved by the Public Service Commission in Baltimore. The first route of the bus service was on the Fayette Street line. The second bus line would be on the "long line" to the South End by way of Baltimore Street, to Maryland Avenue, to Virginia Avenue. The buses were to start every morning at six o'clock and run on a ten-minute schedule until midnight.
On November 16, 1927, the bus line on the Fayette Street - Dingle route started. These buses operated on a twenty minute schedule from Union and Centre Streets to Baltimore to Washington to Smallwood to Fayette Streets and to the Dingle Circle, returning by the same route.
During September, 1928, the Potomac Edison Company instituted bus service between Pennsylvania Avenue in the South End to Shriver Avenue in the
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976