Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
North End. Buses left Pennsylvania Avenue at Fifth Street, went to Hilltop Drive, to Union Street, to Baltimore Street, to Decatur Street, to Independence Street, to Fairview Avenue, to Pulaski Street, to Shriver Avenue, to Holland Street, and returned over the same route on the hour.
On December 11, 1929, the Potomac Edison Company announced that it felt the next step would be the abandonment of the street railway system between South Cumberland and the Narrows park and that bus service would be substituted.
5. What bus line companies operated in Cumberland? When?
In 1914, the Dingle Bus Line and a vehicle known as the "Jitney" bus, due to the five cent fare, operated. This bus ran from South Cumberland to Downtown Cumberland.
In 1921, The Cumberland-Ellerslie bus line and the Cumberland-Flintstone bus line were operating.
In 1924, the Potomac Edison Company started bus service in Cumberland, and operated the bus line until 1954 when the Cumberland Transit Company, then the People Transit Company, Inc., being former employees of the Potomac Edison Company, took over the bus line. At that time, the Potomac Edison Company no longer operated the bus line. In 1958 the name of the Peoples Transit Company, Inc., was changed to the Queen City Bus Lines, with a terminal at 1000 Lafayette Avenue. In 1974 the company was taken over by the Allegany County Commissioners and is now, in 1977, called the Allegany Transit Authority.
In 1925, the Lashley and Anderson bus lines operated from Cumberland to Flintstone, and to Ellerslie and Cresaptown. In 1931, the Cumberland and Westernport Transit Company, the Golden Arrow Coach Company, the L and A
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976