Cumberland, Maryland (Hotels)
George Street and on the same side as the Windsor Hotel. An enclosed bridge went from the Windsor to the St. Nicholas Hotel. It went from the second floor of one hotel to the other. This was in case of a full house in either hotel. A patron could register at the St. Nicholas Hotel and if that hotel was filled the patron was escorted across the bridge to the Windsor Hotel and given a room there. This bridge was removed in April, 1894.
The City Hotel was on Baltimore Street near the depot. Also, in 1871, the Clary House, J. A. N. Clary, proprietor, Was located on the corner of South Centre and Harrison Streets. Arrangements were first class, with lunch served at all hours.
The United States Hotel, a tavern stand and stage station, was located on the northwest corner of Baltimore and North George Streets (now G. C. Murphy), and was built before 1852. Arthur Cowton was the proprietor. In 1873 the owner of the hotel at this location, the St. Nicholas, was Frederick Minke, Esquire.
On February 24, 1873, the Revere House was being thoroughly renovated by the new owners, Kean and Devecom. Mrs. Adams, of the City Hotel, would open the Revere House about April 1, 1873. The new name of the Revere House was the City Hotel. John Rhind, Esquire, was the manager.
On March 24, 1875, the Loy House, on the corner of North Mechanic and Mill Streets, was advertised for rent.
On June 14, 1877, the Pennsylvania House on North Mechanic Street, now the site of the Kennedy Homes, was being changed from a 2 1/2-story building to a 3-story building
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976