Cumberland, Maryland (Hotels)
On February 1, 1897, the Olympia Hotel, formerly the Elberon, was opened to the public under the management of William M. McCray. He was better known as "Cradoc," the famous Roman axeman. The hotel contained 40 bedrooms and a private dining room, as well as a cafe with a lunch counter. Mr. W. F. Tolison, formerly of the Cliff House, San Francisco, was steward. This hotel was located on the northwest corner of North Mechanic and Baltimore Streets and was razed in 1960.
On January 8, 1900, the Utah House, with 44 rooms including 31 bedrooms, opened on Virginia Avenue across from the B&O Railroad shops. It had a dining room as well as a lunch counter and was electrically lighted throughout. On May 22, 1905, the B&O Railroad Company purchased the Utah House and in a short time converted it to the B&O YMCA.
On March 15, 1902, the Franklin Hotel on the corner of Front Street and Baltimore Avenue was advertised for sale. This hotel was built in 1900 and also was known as the Imperial, Sterling, Brooke, Fairview and York. This building is still standing and some rooms are available.
2. Why were there so many hotels in the Cumberland area?
In 1902 there were nineteen hotels advertised in the Cumberland City Directory. Thirteen were located in Downtown Cumberland and five were in South Cumberland. In 1905, five more hotels were added. Two of these, the Central Hotel located at 59 - 61 North Mechanic Street and the Metropolitan Hotel located at 16 - 18 Bedford Street, were for Black patrons. In 1909, five more hotels were opened. From 1910 to 1930 were the years that Cumberland
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976