Cumberland, Maryland (Hotels)
Demolition of the Queen City Hotel began Friday, September 24, 1971. The U.S. Post Office Building now occupies the site, with a small railroad station at the west end of the Queen City Pavement and Harrison Street.
Other notable hotels in Cumberland were the Windsor (Barnum House), built in 1842 and razed in 1958; the St. Nicholas (now G. C. Murphy's), from 1870 to 1895; the Boulevard Hotel (Smith Apartments), opened on August 6, 1921; the Algonquin Hotel and Motor Inn, opened on November 1, 1921; the Fort Cumberland, opened on November 10, 1918, and now used as an apartment hotel and for rental of offices; the Arlington on Baltimore Street, now the Holiday Inn parking lot; the Brunswick, at the corner of Queen City Pavement and Baltimore Street; the Cavanaugh (Columbia) on Baltimore Street next to the Kenneweg Building; the Tremont on South Mechanic Street, now the site of the Western Maryland Freight Station; the Lincoln, now the site of the American Legion Home; the Inn Hotel, (K. of C. Building on North Mechanic Street); the Maryland Hotel, corner of Baltimore Street and North Mechanic Street; the Steckman Hotel on Polk and North Centre Streets for show people; the Washington Hotel and Restaurant, between Liberty and Centre Streets on Baltimore Street; the Allegany Inn-Hotel on Baltimore Street, on the site of the old Western Maryland Hospital, which burned down on April 23, 1972; the Southern Hotel (Pennsylvania Hotel); Hendrick's Hotel, on Laing Avenue in the South End; the East End Hotel on Virginia and Laing Avenues in South End; and the Virginia Avenue Hotel, at Virginia Avenue and the B&O Railroad crossing.
On July 15, 1905, the Western Maryland Telephone Company had
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976