Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Hotels)


Hotels Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



about concluded negotiations with M. J. Mullaney, proprietor of the Windsor Hotel, for the installation of sixty telephones throughout the hotel for the convenience of guests. This would make the largest number of phones in any one building in Western Maryland.

On July 20, 1905, the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company, through its local manager, Mr. French, closed a contract with M. J. Mullaney to equip the Windsor Hotel with a complete telephone service. At that time, two telephone companies operated in Cumberland. Some had the Western Maryland Telephone Company phones and some had the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company phones. Therefore, a business place had to have both phones to reach all customers.




ID:
achm126

Page #:
126

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image