Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)


Railroads Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



RAILROADS IN CUMBERLAND

1. What has been the status of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in Cumberland in the past? What B&O facilities were located here? Where were they located? What outstanding passenger trains did the B&O run which stopped in Cumberland? Where was the B&O Station and when was it built?

On November 5, 1842, the first B&O Railroad train arrived in Cumberland. On July 21, 1851, the first train travelled to Piedmont, West Virginia. On January 1, 1853, the first train travelled to Wheeling, West Virginia. It was a big event for the town when the first B&O train arrived in Cumberland. The town, as well as the surrounding country, gathered to celebrate. Business in the town was suspended, and even work on farms stopped. Practically the entire population of the county came to the railroad terminal to see the wonderful train come in. At the time, the B&O Railroad Station was located at the east end of Baltimore Street adjoining the Revere House (now the Kenneweg Building). This was the first B&O Railroad station in Cumberland. The second station was inside on the first floor of the Revere House in 1870. The third was on the Queen City Pavement north of the Queen City Hotel and at Harrison Street; the fourth was on the first floor of the north end of the Queen City Hotel in 1912. The fifth was in the old Medical Examiner's building at the corner of Park and Harrison Streets in 1972. The sixth and new B&O Station is in the new Post Office complex near the corner of Harrison Street opened in 1977. The B&O Railroad repair shops and round house were first




ID:
achm068

Page #:
68

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image