Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)


Railroads Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



located on North George Street between Frederick and Baltimore Streets (now the GeeBee Shopping Center). They were built in 1849. On February 14, 1892, ground was broken for the new B&O Railroad repair shops and round house, to be built on Virginia Avenue between the B&O Railroad crossing and Offutt Street. This is in South Cumberland in what was known as Humbird's Addition.

The leading and outstanding passenger trains of the B&O Railroad were the "Royal Blue," the "Capitol Limited, " the "National Limited," and the "Ambassador." A news item appeared in the Daily News on February 19, 1873. It said that a ladies' waiting room was opened in the South Wing of the Queen City Hotel. No gentlemen would be admitted unless accompanied by ladies. On April 29, 1871, the "Cincinnati Express," westbound, left Cumberland at 3:20 AM, taking passengers for the West and Northwest. The eastbound train, called the "Baltimore Express," left Pittsburgh at 6:45 AM and arrived at Cumberland at 2:50 PM to connect with the "Cincinnati Express" for Baltimore and the East at 3:17 PM. The trains were run by Pittsburgh time, which was fourteen minutes slower than Baltimore time, which was used here.

2. When did the West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railroad reach Cumberland? Where was its station located? When did the Western Maryland Railway reach Cumberland? What facilities did this railroad have located here?

The Western Maryland Railroad was originally chartered as the Baltimore Carroll and Frederick Railroad Company in 1852 by special Act of the Maryland Legislature. On March 21, 1853, the name was changed to the Western Maryland Railroad Company. The first extension of the Western




ID:
achm069

Page #:
69

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image