Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)
Maryland Railroad Company from Baltimore to Hagerstown was in 1872. The extension of the Western Maryland Railroad to Cumberland was constructed in 1903 - 1905 and opened for freight service on March 15, 1906 and for passenger service on June 17, 1906.
The West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railroad was organized June 25, 1881. It was opened from Piedmont to Shaw on October 19, 1881. Repair shops moved from West Virginia Junction (north of Baltimore Street) to Ridgeley, West Virginia in December, 1897. The Western Maryland Railroad Company acquired the West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railroad Company on November 1, 1905, and the Piedmont and Cumberland Railway in 1886. The Potomac and Piedmont Coal and Railroad Company was chartered on February 26, 1866. The name of the above railroad company was changed to the West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railroad Company on February 2 3, 1881. In 1940, the Western Maryland had a total of 883 miles of road.
On January 31, 1887, E. J. Fredlock, builder, Piedmont, was awarded the contract for the erection of the new Union Depot at Baltimore and Canal Streets to be used by the Piedmont and Cumberland, the Georges Creek and Cumberland, and Pennsylvania Railroads. Work began at once.
On April 6, 188 7, the Piedmont and Cumberland Railroad Company laid their railroad track over Baltimore Street and, in consequence, the bridge over Wills Creek was closed to vehicles, but not to pedestrians.
On May 7, 1887, the new depot at Baltimore and Canal Streets was opened.
On May 23, 1887, all passenger and freight trains of the Georges
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976