Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)
incorporated by the Maryland Legislature on March 4, 1850 with a capital stock of $1,000,000 and with the power to construct a railroad from the town of Cumberland to some suitable point on the dividing line between the states of Maryland and Pennsylvania. Later, the charter was amended by giving the C&P Railroad the power to connect with any existing railroad from Cumberland to any point west and to construct a line from the point of such connection to the Pennsylvania state line or to purchase any such railroad or part of such railroad. In November, 1853, the Mt. Savage Iron Company conveyed to the C&P Railroad its railroad extending from the depot of the B&O Railroad and Potomac Wharf in Cumberland to the mines at Frostburg, as well as its interest in wharf property, and thus retired from railroad operations. The first president of the C&P Railroad was John A. Graham. On December 12, 1857, the C&P Railroad line was completed from Borden Yard near Frostburg to Lonaconing, a distance of 9.8 miles. In 1852, the Georges Creek and Iron Company built a line from Piedmont, West Virginia to Lonaconing, Maryland, connecting with the B&O Railroad at Piedmont, and on October 23, 1863, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Company purchased this line. In 1864 the Consolidation Coal Company acquired from the Mt. Savage Iron Company its entire holdings of capital stock of the C&P Railroad Company. Since that time there has been no change in the ownership of the stock. From 1850 to 1937, the C&P Railroad Company moved more than 150,000,000 tons of bituminous coal from the Georges Creek region to all parts of the world by this railroad through the five trunk line connections, the B&O, the Western Maryland, the B&O at Piedmont, the Western Maryland Railroad at Westernport, and the Pennsylvania Railroad at State Line, near Ellerslie, Maryland. The C&P Railroad passenger trains used the Queen City
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976