Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)
B&O Railroad station at Cumberland for arrivals and for departures. Other stations were at Hay Street between the B&O Viaduct and Knox Street next to the signal tower at this location, Mt. Savage Junction, Barrellville, Mt. Savage, Frostburg, Ocean, Lonaconing, Barton and Piedmont. On special days, such as big shows at the Academy of Music and later the Maryland Theatre, circus days, parades, the annual fair, and sporting events, the C&P Railroad would run a special train other than the regular run to get the passengers to Cumberland from the Georges Creek area in time for the event and the train would leave after the affair was over. The C&P Railroad had a total of 97.4 miles of track that it operated on. The repair shops were at Mt. Savage. The principal structures of the C&P Railroad were 46 bridges, 3 tunnels, 9 stations, and 41 shops and engine house buildings. Equipment included 11 freight locomotives and one gasoline electric passenger locomotive put in service in May, 1929. Freight equipment was 140 units; passenger equipment, 6 units; work equipment, 29; employees in 1937 were 250. The C&P Railroad Company owned the three main line tracks over which the B&O Railroad Company operated its trains under a trackage agreement between Viaduct Junction (Hay Street), Cumberland, and Mt. Savage Junction near Corriganville, Maryland. The distance between these points was 3.2 miles.
4. When did the Georges Creek and Cumberland Railroad begin to operate? What facilities did it have located in Cumberland? Where?
The Georges Creek and Cumberland Railroad and Short Line Passenger Trains is the complete name of this railroad, according to a schedule appearing in a local paper in 1887. The schedule stated that G.C. and C. RR
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976