Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)
the termination of the G.C. & C. Railroad.
On May 23, 1887, all passenger and freight trains of the G.C. & C. Railroad used the Central Depot (WM) at the foot of Baltimore Street at Wills Creek.
On September 3, 1889, the G.C. & C. Railroad offices moved from Washington Street to the second floor of the new Central Station (WM).
On September 12, 1889, the G.C. & C. Railroad purchased two hundred 30-ton hopper cars, used to haul coal from the coal fields to the C&O Canal, where the C&O Canal Company and the G.C. & C. Railroad had entered into an agreement in the early days of the railroad to deliver coal to the canal for a period of 27 years at one and one-half cents per ton per mile. The Western Maryland Railroad purchased the G.C. & C. Railroad on July 1, 1913. The G.C. & C. Railroad had trackage a distance of 20.2 miles from Cumberland and had stations at Georges Creek Junction, Narrows Park, Percy Siding, Winchester Road, Clarysville, Mertens, Vale Summit, Cabin Run, Upper Ocean, Lower Ocean, Midland, Midland Junction, Jackson, Lonaconing, and Kingsland.
5. When did Pennsylvania Railroad trains begin reaching Cumberland? How? Where did Pennsylvania Railroad trains go from Cumberland?
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company was chartered in Maryland in 1876. The terminal, according to the charter, was to be some convenient point in the City of Cumberland and some convenient point at or near Ellerslie in Allegany County on the Pennsylvania line, there to connect with and become a combination of the Bedford and Bridgeport Road, a branch of the Pennsylvania
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976