Cumberland, Maryland (Railroads)
system. The length of this road was six miles and was to cost $100,000. In November, 1877, the Cumberland City Council passed an ordinance to lend the railroad company $65,000. This loan was to be secured by a second mortgage on the road. Because of some defect in the ordinance, the Mayor vetoed it and it was again passed by the Council and the mayor signed it in February, 1878. When the road was constructed, great difficulties were encountered in entering Cumberland. The Narrows was the only practicable avenue of approach. All the available space on the east side of Wills Creek was being used by the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The Georges Creek and Cumberland Railroad laid its tracks on the west side of the Creek. A law enacted in 1878 gave the Pennsylvania Railroad the right to cross the tracks of the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad at the west end of the Narrows and continue down the Narrows on the west side to the Potomac Wharf at the C&O Canal. The Pennsylvania operated passenger trains on what was known as the Bedford Division. From Cumberland, stations on the line were at Hyndman, Bedford, Huntington, Altoona, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and New York.
On January 31, 1887, the Pennsylvania Railroad had offices in the new Union Depot (WM) at the head of Baltimore Street at Wills Creek.
On May 23, 1887, freight for the Pennsylvania Railroad was to be received and forwarded at the Central Depot (WM). Peter Noon was the agent.
On August 13, 1918, the National Railroad Administration wanted all trains, including the Pennsylvania Railroad, to arrive and depart at the B&O Queen City Station.
On December 3, 1972, Cumberland's link to the North, to Bedford and Altoona over the Pennsylvania Railroad, opened in 1887, was soon to be closed due to a rock slide at Buffalo Mills and the damage to the railroad in the east by
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976