Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)
was said the old name was too long. In 1928 the Celanese plant had $11,969,000 invested in buildings, site improvements, machinery and equipment and provided 2,400 jobs. In 1938 over 42 million dollars had been invested in buildings, site improvements, machinery and equipment, and provided 9,000 jobs. The current figures of employment are not available.
3. When did the N & G Taylor Company locate in Cumberland? Where? What products did it manufacture? How many people did it employ? When did the company close? Why?
The N & G Taylor Company of Philadelphia was the oldest manufacturer of tin plate in America, having organized in 1810. In the early days the company imported their tin plate from Wales, but since 1892 operated their own tinning works in Philadelphia, drawing their supplies of black plate chiefly from the Cumberland plant. The Cumberland plant covered ten acres and employed 600. In 1913, contracts were let for the erection of a complete tin house, or dipping plant. All motors on machinery would be driven electrically, natural gas would be used for fuel. With the beginning of these improvements, the announcement was made that the Cumberland City Council had granted the company free water to the extent of two hundred thousand gallons per day, and immunity from taxes for a period of ten years. The Cumberland plant manufactured tin plate, from the pig iron and pig metals to the finished sheet of tin. Open hearth furnaces converted the pig iron, scrap and ore into ingots, which went through the large bar mill and emerged as sheet bars, which were, in turn, rolled into thin black sheets in the two black plate plants, and the dipping and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976