Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)
supervision over all work of the Public Works Department. It supervises construction of sidewalks, culverts, drains, bridges, water works and other improvements projected by the mayor and city council.
The Public Works Department maintains all engineering records, and is in charge of surveying, streets, alleys, and engineering consulting contracts, technical assistance to all public work engineering projects, studies and design, and inspection of construction work.
Many city departments are based at the Municipal Services Center at 215 Bowen Street. These include the purchasing department under Paul Haberlein, purchasing agent, the office of the Director of Public Works and staff, the Engineering Division under Dennis Polhill, the City Engineer, the Street Division, the Equipment Maintenance garage, and the Water Distribution Division under Ray Nixon, Superintendent.
On December 13, 1977, a new City Maintenance Division was created by the mayor and city council. The purpose of this new division is to perform maintenance on all city vehicles, property and grounds. The maintenance division will be under the direction of the Public Works Department.
7. Where were city buildings located in the past? When? Where are city buildings located today?
On March 7, 1876 City Hall opened on the site of the present City Hall, bordered by North Centre, North Liberty, Bedford, and Frederick Streets. This City Hall building contained the council chamber, city offices, police headquarters, the jail, a market place, the Masonic and Odd Fellow Lodge rooms
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976