Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)


Municipal Government Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



and the Eastern Star Chapter. This building also was known as the Academy of Music, as it contained a theatre within the City Hall building. The City Hall building was destroyed by fire on the morning of March 14, 1910. The City Hall building contained a number of city offices and they had to have new locations in order to conduct city business. The city tax collector opened an office in the water works office building on Green Street near Johnson. The office of the street superintendent was moved to the city storage building on Johnson Street. The office of the city engineer was moved to the third floor of the Third National Bank, now the Liberty Trust building. The City Council met on a temporary basis in the Union Street School building. The first meeting was on March 16, 1910 at 8:00 PM.

On Saturday, September 30, 1871, the Cumberland City Water Works began full operation on Green Street near Johnson Street. Water was pumped from the Potomac River in the rear of the Water Works to the water plant where the water was filtered and sent into the water mains to all parts of the city. The Water Works plant was in operation furnishing water to the City of Cumberland from its start to the time the new water supply for Cumberland was established, known as Lake Gordon, in May, 1913. The office building of the Water Works is still standing on Green Street. It was used as the building for the first free public library in Cumberland, then as the Girl Scout Headquarters, and now is used as a senior citizens' center. The water plant was on the parking lot next to the present building. The Water Works building burned down December 20, 1916. From 1901 to July 1, 1916, when the Edison Electric Company was awarded the contract, the water plant had also furnished the city with light and power.




ID:
achm011

Page #:
11

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image