Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)


Municipal Government Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The City Police Station and lock-up, built around 1876, was at North Liberty and Mill, now Bedford, Streets. The police headquarters was moved to the basement of the City Hall on the corner of Bedford and North Liberty Streets in May, 1914. The lock-up was moved to the present public Safety building in the early 1930's. The old police station, after the police moved out, was used for many years as the Clinic for Crippled Children and now is used by the Greater Cumberland Chamber of Commerce. Central Fire Station in City Hall Square opened March 26, 1906. It will soon be torn down after the new fire-police building is opened in the fall of 1977. Engine Company No. 2 on Browning Street in South Cumberland opened March 26, 1906, and is now an apartment house. The West Side Fire Company on Spruce Alley off the Cumberland Street Bridge opened on February 28, 1907. It is now a dwelling. Canada Hose Company No. 1 on North Mechanic Street at Smith Street was used as headquarters for auxiliary police and rescue boats. The Chapel Hill Hose Company building on Arch Street was sold to the Railroad Brotherhood as a meeting hall. The Friendship Hose Company, on Broadway Street off Maryland Avenue, is now a dwelling. The building at the corner of Johnson Street and the old Blue Bridge to Ridgeley was used for many years as a dog pound for stray animals. It is now the site of the entrance to the Moose Home.

8. City building locations in 1977.

The Cumberland City Hall was built in 1912. The Public Safety building, since the early 1930's, has been in the old post office building at the corner of Frederick and North Liberty Streets. East Side Fire Station No. 4




ID:
achm012

Page #:
12

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image