Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)
at 411 Frederick Street opened January 1, 1925. West Side Fire Station No. 3 on Green Street at the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad subway opened January 1, 1927. South Cumberland Fire Station No. 2 is on Third Street between Race and Seymour Streets. The former Commercial Savings Bank building at the corner of North Liberty and Frederick Street houses the Cumberland Urban Renewal Agency and the Department of Community Development. The Department of Parks and Recreation storage building on Willowbrook Road at the corner of Pine Avenue was formerly used by the Water Department. The Filtration Plant building at Lake Gordon, built in 1913, and at Koon Dam, built in 1932, handle Cumberland's water supply. The Sewage Treatment Plant building is at the end of East Offutt Street. Other properties are Constitution park, its swimming pools, band shell, and amphitheatre, picnic buildings, a building for park personnel, tennis courts, miniature zoo, comfort stations, weather report station, and storage buildings. Fort Hill and Ridgedale reservoirs are city property. The Cumberland Municipal Airport, located at Wiley Ford, West Virginia, is now known as the Potomac Highland Airport Authority. The flood protection project, and four standpipes or water tanks, for better water pressure to homes on higher areas in and around Cumberland are other city properties.
9. Where were storage warehouses located in Cumberland in the past? Where are the warehouses located today? When did they change locations?
In the late 1800's and early 1900's, the City of Cumberland stored and warehoused paving material and terra cotta pipe and other material on a fenced-in lot at the corner of Johnson and Paca Streets. There was also a long
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976