Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)
one story wooden building on the lot for additional storage. This location was used for stables for the city horses. Also, some storage was done in sheds at the rear of the Water Works plant on Green Street.
In March, 1925, the City of Cumberland had offered for auction sale the last three horses, a large express wagon, a dump wagon, and a light spring wagon, for by this time the city had motorized all departments. In May, 1925, the City of Cumberland purchased the Cumberland Hydraulic Cement &t Supply Company building at North Lee Street and the Valley Street Bridge. At this time the warehouse, stables and yard at Johnson and Paca Streets were closed for city storage. This building at Lee Street and the Valley Street Bridge was now the city warehouse and would be such until a new municipal center would be built in the South End. Three arches of the B&O Railroad viaduct between North Mechanic Street and Wills Creek were closed in and used as storage by the City of Cumberland. Two of the spaces were used by the Sewage Department and one was used by the Cumberland-Ridgeley Flood Project for its maintenance equipment. The Water Department warehouse on Willowbrook Road at the corner of Pine Avenue has moved to the Municipal Center in South Cumberland. The Willowbrook Road building is now being used by the Parks and Recreation Department for storage. The City of Cumberland has a number of parks and parklets, these being Riverside Park on Green Street, a park at Valley, Furnace and Lena Streets in the North End of Cumberland, Downtown Parklets, including the Canal Parklet at Baltimore and Canal Streets, the Heritage Parklet at Baltimore and North Mechanic Streets, the Hospitality Parklet at Baltimore and North Liberty Streets, and the Maze parklet at North Centre Street between Baltimore and Frederick Streets. Fifteen playgrounds exist in the city, as well
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976