Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)
CUMBERLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
1. How was the Cumberland Fire Department organized? How has this organization changed over the years? How is the Cumberland Fire Department presently organized?
On the evening of August 4, 1902, a number of committees representing the fraternal and benevolent organizations of this City met at the Y.M.C.A. hall to discuss the necessity of a paid fire department for the City of Cumberland. The paid Cumberland Fire Department went into service on Monday, March 26, 1906. Central Station No. 1 at City Hall Square opened with four men. South End No. 2 on Browning Street opened the same day with three men. The West Side Station No. 3 in Spruce Alley off Cumberland Street at the Cumberland Street railroad bridge opened February 28, 1907, with three men. At this time the personnel consisted of a chief, instructor, three captains, four drivers, and several pipemen, for a total of 16 men. Equipment consisted of eight horses, three double 35 gallon combination hose and chemical wagons, one 65 foot Seagrave aerial truck, and one steamer to pump water. This would be held in reserve. The personnel of the present Cumberland Fire Department is 73 men, broken down as one chief, one assistant chief, seven captains, ten lieutenants, 24 equipment operators, 30 firefighters, and one secretary to the chief. Present equipment consists of a 1976 Seagrave 1250 gallon pumper, a Mack 1250 gallon pumper, a 1973 Seagrave 1250 gallon pumper, an American LaFrance 1000 gallon pumper, a 1950 Mack 750 gallon pumper, a 1953 Ahrens Fox 750 gallon pumper, a 1958 American LaFrance 1000 gallon pumper, a 1949 Seagrave trailer (Truck #1
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976