Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)
2. What were the locations of fire houses in the City of Cumberland?
In 1906, Central #1 was located in City Hall Square. It will move to the new headquarters in the fall of 1977.
In 1906, Engine #2 was in South End on Browning Street. It moved to a new fire house at the corner of Race, Third, and Seymour Streets on February 16, 1927.
In 1907, Engine #3 was located in Spruce Alley off Cumberland Street. It moved to a new house on Green Street next to the B&O Railroad subway on January 5, 1927.
On Thursday, January 1, 1925, Engine #4 East Side was on Frederick Street between Linden and Marshall Streets.
3. What were some of the big fires and disasters that occurred in Cumberland? Where were they? When?
On August 9, 1907, the Cumberland Steel Company on Williams Street burned with a loss of $400,000.
September 2, 1907, was Labor Day, and a big parade was held. The parade formed on the West Side and marched over town and down Baltimore Street. The parade was made up largely of union men, such as carpenters, electricians, bakery workers, glass workers, etc. The Cumberland City Fire Department took part in the parade. At this time the new paid Fire Department was only a little over a year old. The citizens of Cumberland would have a chance to see the new fire apparatus, especially the new 65-foot hook and ladder.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976