Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)
were put on the market. Among the first to get the pictures were the firemen at Central Station #1, Mr. Valentine's fire station. When the pictures were viewed, it was found that there was a small white dot over the head of one of the firemen. Upon examination, it was found that the small white dot was directly over Mr. Valentine's head. When the firemen realized that the picture was taken two hours before Mr. Valentine's death, they took this event as an omen. The writer examined other pictures that were taken at the same time by the same photographer with the same camera. No other pictures showed a white dot. Was this an omen or just a defect in that particular negative?
On August 14, 1908, Deal's Mill, between Glenn and Fulton Streets, along with two homes, burned with a loss of $500,000.
On March 14, 1910, the complete destruction of Cumberland City Hall and the Academy of Music, Masonic Hall, City Offices, and Market House resulted in a loss of $65,000.
On January 24, 1912, Pitts Provision and Packing Company on Commerce Street burned with a loss of $20,000.
On August 8, 1913, the Eastern Glass Company at the South End off Springdale Street burned with a loss of $50,000.
On December 10, 1913, Merten's Sons Lumber Yard on South Centre and Commerce Streets burned with a loss of $50,000.
On December 14, 1915, fire gutted the interior of the Cumberland Office Supply on North Liberty Street.
On December 20, 1916, the water works on Green Street near Johnson Street was razed by fire.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976