Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)
On July 13, 1934, Castle Garden Dance Hall (Zilman Glass Plant), burned. The loss was $11,200.
On May 26, 1935, the Schmidt Baking Company, 800 Frederick Street, burned.
On November 25, 1935, the Capitol Theatre, 131 Baltimore Street, burned with a loss of $36,000.
On December 5, 1939, Schwarzenbach Store, 128 Baltimore Street, burned with a loss of $47,000.
On January 25, 1940, Perkins Shoe Store, 133 Baltimore Street (now the Revco Building), burned. The loss was $110,000.
On February 25, 1940, the Liberty Theatre, 24 North Liberty Street, burned. The loss was $23,000.
On October 2, 1941, an explosion at 20-22 North Centre Street, Wagners Meat Market, Heinrick and Jenkins, led to the complete demolition of all buildings. Four people lost their lives. Many were injured.
On November 30, 1944, Glisans Garage, North Centre Street at Knox Street, a three and one-half story building, was completely destroyed. All city fire forces responded. An elderly woman was carried from an adjoining building and taken to Allegany Hospital. She was not injured but was very excited. Bowman's Addition Fire Department filled in at East Side Station #4 to answer city calls. Auxiliary firemen reported to West Side #3. Fifty automobiles were destroyed in the fire, as well as the contents of the building, such as repair parts, tools and paint. Glisan Brothers had taken over the building in 1910 after the former tenants, the White Tannery, had suffered much damage by fire. The building was 125 feet by 100 feet and cost $50,000 to build.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976