Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)
On April 25, 1917, a three story brick building, the Cooperative Supply Company, at the corner of Virginia and Laing Avenues, burned with a loss of $40,000.
On February 22, 1918, George W. Miller, Captain at Central #1, was severely injured when pinned between the fire engine and the patrol wagon while answering a fire call on Wineow Street. The fire engine had stopped at the scene of the fire, but the patrol wagon driver said that due to the dust from the street being raised by the fire engine, he was unable to see that the fire engine had stopped, thereby crashing into the rear of the fire engine. Mr. Miller's leg was caught by the front of the patrol wagon. Mr. Miller was rushed to the Allegany Hospital where his leg was amputated below the knee. After the operation Mr. Miller rallied, but at 11:30 PM the same day Mr. Miller passed away. Captain Miller was an eleven-year veteran of the Cumberland Fire Department.
On December 16, 1918, an early morning fire at Stafford's home, 42 Maryland Avenue, resulted in the death of five-and seven-year-old brothers.
On February 18, 1919, the Frederick Piano Company, 37-39 Baltimore Street, burned with a loss of $35,000.
On July 29, 1919, the new main building of Queen City Brick and Tile Company burned to the ground, with a loss of $40,000.
On March 1, 1920, the Wellington Glass Works on North Mechanic Street burned with a loss of $350,000.
On January 7, 1922, the Bayer Grocery Company, a four story building on South George Street, burned with a loss of $200,000.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976