Cumberland, Maryland (Fire Department)
After the fire and razing of walls left standing, a new one story building was built and occupied by an Acme Supermarket.
On April 21, 1948, a fire completely gutted the County Building on Union Street (Union Street School). The damage was more than $100,000. In addition to offices of the Allegany County States Attorney, the County Investigator, the County Engineer, and the County Attorney, other offices destroyed were the Army and Marine Reserve, the Organized Reserve Corp, Boy Scouts, and Rent Control Agency. The entire city fire force fought the blaze.
On January 1, 1950, the Buchannan Lumber Company, North Mechanic Street and rear alley, suffered much damage by fire. One fireman was injured and removed to Allegany Hospital.
On December 25, 1949, the Cumberland Fire Department sent two pieces of equipment to Hyndman, Pennsylvania to assist in battling a fire that almost destroyed the town. Over 20 volunteer fire companies from Maryland, West Virginia and Pennsylvania helped fight the fire. The fire started in the early evening and it was several days until all signs of the fire were extinguished. Two lives were lost in the fire.
On April 23, 1972, Allegany Inn (formerly the Western Maryland Hospital) on Baltimore Avenue at Decatur Street burned. The building was a total loss. Three people, a woman and two men, died in the fire. Several were injured, including one fireman. One man was charged by the States Attorney as starting the fire by setting his mattress afire in his room due to careless smoking in bed. The building and contents were a total loss. Over one hundred firemen fought the blaze. Units from volunteer fire companies assisted. The building was built in 1892 and opened on November 23rd of that year as the Western
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976