Cumberland, Maryland (Police Department)
In 1933, the Cumberland Police Department consisted of 35 men; in 1935, 40 men; in 1947, 44 men; in 1949, 49 men; in 1952, 49 men; in 1960, 64 men; in 1963, 66 men; and in 1977, a total of 81, including three women.
2. Describe the personnel of the Cumberland police Department. How has the personnel changed over the years?
For many years the Cumberland Police Department was composed of a chief, an assistant chief, a desk sergeant, and a number of patrolmen, known as beat men, meaning police officers were assigned to a particular section of Cumberland and this area was known as their beat. As the years passed and police work improved with training and improved relations with the public and with modern equipment added, police work entered a new scope of police protection. Improvement started in 1909 when a horse drawn police patrol was bought for the Cumberland police Department, prior to this, an officer making an arrest had to get the arrested person to police headquarters as best he could. On occasion an arrested drunken person would be transported to the station house by means of a horse drawn dray or wagon, by streetcar, or by walking to headquarters. After the patrol wagon came the addition of two motorcycle officers, then a motorized patrol wagon. Today, the personnel of the Cumberland Police Department has improved to a great extent. There are now 81 persons on the Cumberland Police Department.
In 1977, the Cumberland police Department is composed of a police chief, Wilbur Shank; administrative officer, Lt. John Chaney; training officers, Lt. Warren Brhem and Sgt. L. Byron Schulter; traffic officer,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976