Cumberland, Maryland (Police Department)
Lt. John F. Daum; secretary to police chief, Beulah Leedy; clerk typist, JoAnn Galliher; clerk typist, traffic, Gladys J. Sapp; seven lieutenants; ten sergeants; twelve corporals; one shift relief lieutenant; 33 patrolmen, including one assigned to parking meters, three assigned to the traffic department, placing parking signs, painting parking and no parking lines, etc.; three custodians; one laborer; two C.E.T.A. dispatchers; and two C. E. T. A. laborers. The Cumberland Police Department has received more than 25 commendations for individual police officers for outstanding police work. These commendations will become part of the record of the officers involved.
In past years, different from 1915, when police officers worked two shifts of twelve hours each, the members of the Cumberland Police Department now work three shifts of eight hours each, with two days off each week. A police woman for patrol duty was employed between January 27, 1958 and September 15, 1958, but the job was terminated due to lack of finances.
3. What equipment has the Cumberland Police Department possessed over the years?
In 1909, a horse drawn patrol wagon was in service.
In 1914, two motorcycles were put into service.
In 1916, a motorized police patrol was purchased.
From 1933, when the Cumberland Police Department had but eight pieces of motorized equipment, advancement has been made to 1977 when the total motorized equipment is ten four-door sedans or patrol cars, one 1972 Dodge patrol wagon, one 1974 Chevrolet carry-all (truck), eight trucksters or scooters, one 1974 Dodge 3/4 ton truck for the traffic department, one 1967
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976