Cumberland, Maryland (Police Department)
the local Daily News on May 4, 1871, as neither the City of Cumberland nor any of its officials own any such instruments, to our knowledge.
On July 29, 1871, by City Ordinance, hogs were allowed the privilege of roaming the streets of Cumberland during the months of July, August, and September.
On October 12, 1871, police officers Bender and Miller rounded up 25 hogs roaming the city streets in violation of the ordinance. The owners of the hogs were required to pay a fine when reclaiming their animals.
On Jure 4, 1887, Cumberland Mayor Shuck gave the city's annual report. Among items were Police Department for the past year of $5,456.09. Overcoats for police cost $201.70. The station house had been furnished with tables and chairs.
On October 7, 1893, the Memorial Day Parade was led by a platoon of Cumberland's finest police.
On July 11, 1899, the police received new maces, badges, and whistles.
On July 11, 1899, Judge Morris sentenced four men to the chain gang. The Police Department was to designate where they were to work.
On December 2 5, 1901, the police presented Mayor Warren C. White with a gold-headed cane.
On March 25, 1904, a horrible tragedy occurred at 2:00 PM at George Palmore's Saloon, known as the "Louse" Saloon on Mill Street (now Bedford Street) when Sidney Johnson, armed with a revolver, shot and killed John N. Reesby and William Smith as the result of an argument over a card game.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976