Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)

Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


finishing followed in the tin house. The company manufactured much roofing tin, known by the trade name of "Target" and "Arrow," and also made high grade bright tin plate for special purposes, the past history of the tin plate mill shows. The black plate mills started in 1892. In 1894 a new company known as the Cumberland Steel and Tin Plate Company organized. In 1898 it closed down for one year. It reopened in 1899 and leased to the N & G Taylor Company. At this time the size of the plant covered six acres. In later years this was increased to ten acres. In the late 1920's the Republic Steel Company took over the plant, but shut down operations in the Cumberland plant and transferred many employees to other plants. For many years the Taylor Company maintained an athletic club and sponsored a championship basketball team with its own clubhouse. The tin workers, for their various jobs, had names peculiar to their occupation such as heater, puddler, hammerman, turner, and doubler.

4. When did Footer's begin operation in Cumberland? Where? What was the size of the plant? What activity did the company engage in? When did it close?

The first newspaper record of Footer's was in 1873 when Thomas Footer had a dyeing and scouring business at 29 Green Street near the water works. It moved to North Liberty Street and Market Square on March 6, 1873. to South Centre Street near Baltimore Street in 1880, to a three story brick building on North Liberty Street in 1897, and to South Mechanic Street between Howard, Williams and Wineow Streets in 1906. Since this time the receiving room for clothing to be cleaned, etc., was on North Liberty Street. Employment


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image