Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)
DOWNTOWN CUMBERLAND IN 1950
The boundaries of Downtown Cumberland in 1950 were Williams Street on the south and Market Street to the north, the Western Maryland Railroad to the west, and the B&O Railroad on the east. Eight places of worship, twenty-eight restaurants, five theatres, five hotels, and eight apartment buildings were in Downtown Cumberland in 1950. Twenty-three physicians and surgeons had offices Downtown, as did seventeen dentists. There were five drugstores. Forty-one lawyers had offices Downtown. The streetcars were gone and in their place five bus lines operated out of the Downtown bus station at 10 North George Street. Seventeen social clubs were in the Downtown. The leading department stores were Rosenbaum's Department Store, Maurice's at 37 Baltimore Street, Montgomery Ward at 155 Baltimore Street, Sears at 179 Baltimore Street, and G. C. Murphy at 138 Baltimore Street. There were eight automobile service stations in Downtown. In 1950 there were but three retail liquor stores. You could buy groceries and meat at eight places in Downtown. Eight men's furnishing stores were Downtown. The leaders were Heinrich and Jenkins at 14 North Centre Street, and The Manhattan, Schwarzenbach, Kaplon's, and Burton's, the last four on Baltimore Street. Five exclusive ladies' hat stores were Downtown. Four were on Baltimore Street and one at 138 Bedford Street. Twenty-three fraternal lodges met and had quarters Downtown. In 1950, the leading Downtown restaurants were Alberta's Restaurant at 27 North Mechanic Street, Anton's at 7 North Mechanic Street, The Coffee Shop at 109 Frederick Street, the Coney Island Lunch at 3 North Liberty Street, Curtis Lunch and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976