Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)


Downtown in 1950 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Candy Kitchen at 72 Baltimore Street, the Diamond Restaurant at 10 North Mechanic Street, the Dolphin Bar at 107 North Centre Street, the Liberty-Tavern at 42 North Liberty Street, the M and A Restaurant at 12 Baltimore Street, the Central Lunch at 74 North Centre Street, Sheehe's Restaurant at 51 North Mechanic Street, the Star Restaurant at 31 Baltimore Street, the Fort Cumberland Hotel Dining Room, Turbuy's Grill at 45 North Liberty Street, and the Windsor Restaurant at 158 Baltimore Street. There were eight savings banks and savings and loan associations Downtown. A person could have his or her shoes shined at three places on Baltimore Street. Five taxicab companies operated in Cumberland. Three operated from Downtown. Only the Western Union Telegraph Company was in Downtown, the Postal Telegraph Company having gone out of business. The five theatres Downtown were The Maryland and the Garden on North Mechanic Street, the Embassy at 51 Baltimore Street, the Liberty Theatre at 20 North Liberty Street, and the Strand Theatre at 101 South Liberty Street. There were eighteen used car dealers in Cumberland in 1950. Six were in Downtown. Seven automobile parking lots were Downtown, three on South Liberty Street and a lot at 149 Frederick Street. Seventeen barber shops were Downtown. There were twenty-six beauty shops or hairdressers Downtown. There were also twelve radio repair shops in Cumberland and four were Downtown, but no television sales or service shops. The leading women's apparel stores Downtown were Rosenbaum's, The Darling Shop, the Holly Shop, Lerner's, and Martin's, all on Baltimore Street. Police headquarters and the cell block were in the Public Safety building in City Hall Square at the corner of Frederick and North Liberty Streets. This had been the former post office building. The police chief was R. Emmett Flynn. The



ID:
achm362

Page #:
362

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image