Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)
floor of the Baltimore Street side of the Olympia Hotel at the corner of Baltimore and Mechanic Streets, Anton's Cocktail Lounge at 7 North Mechanic Street in the Maryland Hotel building, the Cadillac Lounge at 25 North Mechanic Street, the Southern Hotel at 135-139 North Mechanic Street, the Silver Grill at 104 North Mechanic Street, and Cooper's Tavern at 28 Bedford Street. The latter two were for Black patrons. Regular weekly bingo games were held at the Eagle's at 65 North Mechanic Street, the Ali Ghan City Club at 123 South Centre Street, the Redmen's Club at 23 Bedford Street, St. Patrick's Social Centre at North Centre and Market Streets, and at the Knights of Columbus at 17 North Mechanic Street. Radio station WTBO had offices and a studio on the third floor of the Commercial Bank building at the corner of Frederick and North Liberty Streets. The station was owned by the Cumberland Broadcasting Company.
Louis Stein, Inc., funeral directors, were at 117 Frederick Street. A building at 123 Frederick Street housed the Allegany Trades Council, the headquarters for various trades unions.
Holland's Esso Service Station was at the corner of North Mechanic and Bedford Streets. The Sterling Electric Company was at the corner of Bedford and North Centre Streets. All of the land between North Centre and North Mechanic Streets, facing Bedford Street, is now the site of the new fire and police building.
The First Methodist Church was at 127-131 Bedford Street. The Frantz Oldsmobile Company, the Zimmerman Radio Wholesalers, the Rex News Agency, the Curtain Shop, and the Potomac Produce Corporation were on Bedford Street near the B&O Railroad.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976