Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)


Downtown in 1950 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Henry Street, the first street north of Baltimore Street, had a number of residences. There were also some businesses, including Paul's Flower Shop, the Lichtenstein Company wholesale liquors, the Simpson Company Wholesale Candies, the American Watch Repair Shop, and the Daniel's Rubber Stamp Shop.

Polk Street and Hanover Street were residential but on Polk Street at the rear of No. 128 was the H and S Heating and Plumbing Company and on Hanover Street at 114 there was The Christian Brothers Home, which was the dwelling for teachers of LaSalle Institute, then located in Carroll Hall on North Centre Street. Polk Street went as far east as the B&O Railroad, but continued on starting at Henderson Avenue. Hanover Street stopped at the B&O Railroad.

The business office and the printing plant of the Cumberland Evening Times and The Cumberland News were at 7 South Mechanic Street. The V and H. Vandegrift and Holcomb, Billiard Parlor was in the Odd Fellows building on the first floor. This was a favorite of high school age boys. The Odd Fellows building also housed, besides the poolroom, Chosen Friends Lodge No. 34, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Canton Allegany Lodge No. 4, Patriarchs Militant, Cumberland Encampment No. 2 3, the C.I. O. News, and the United Rubber Workers of America, Local No. 26. The Victory Restaurant was at 16 South Mechanic Street. At 20 South Mechanic Street was the Galen Restaurant and Tavern. At the corner of South Mechanic and Pershing Streets was the Elcar Sales and Service for used cars. At 11 South Mechanic Street was the Western Maryland Railway Company and the Pennsylvania Railroad Company freight stations. The Frantz Gasoline Service Station was at 115 South Mechanic Street. The main post office and the Federal Court stood on this street. Also




ID:
achm365

Page #:
365

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image