Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)
in this building were located the United States Corps of Engineers, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the United States Internal Revenue Service office, the United States Social Security office, the Railroad Retirement Board, the Army and Air Force recruiting stations, the Red Cross, the Veterans Administration, and the United States Civil Service office. The Crystal Laundry was at 201-211 South Mechanic Street. The Kelly Springfield Tire Plant retail store was at 119-121 South Mechanic Street. The Jenkins and Shriver Motor Company auto sales, Fletcher Motor Sales and Service, the Steinla Motor Company, Inc., and Hare Motor Sales were on South Mechanic Street. The Moyer Dance Studio was at 231 South Mechanic Street. The State Department of Employment Security, the Allegany Trade School, and the Concord Factory Show Room for men's clothing were in the Footer Building. The Robosson's Esso Gasoline Service Station was at the corner of South Mechanic and Williams Streets. The Queen City Dairy, Inc., and the Queen City Dairy Store were at 306-310 South Mechanic Street.
Williams Street from Wineow Street to the B&O Railroad crossing had many business places, such as the Rusco Window and Supply Company, Lloyd Buchanan's Wholesale Lumber Company, Liberty Cleaners and Dyers, the Dunlop Tire and Rubber Company, the Imperial Ice Cream Company, the Red Head Gasoline Service Station, the Cumberland Steel Company, and Goldsmit-Black, Inc., selling wholesale cigars and tobacco.
Where the Downtown parklets and parks are now located there was Martin's Liquor Store where the Canal Park now stands at Baltimore and Canal Streets. At the Heritage Parklet at Baltimore and North Mechanic Streets were The Maryland Hotel building and the Carnegie Sportswear men's clothing
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976