Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)
store. The American Hat Cleaners and Shoe Shine Parlor, the Curtis Candy-Kitchen, the Coney Island Hot Dog Stand, the Liberty Cleaners and Dyers and the D. P. Miller Insurance and Real Estate Agency, with six apartments on the second and third floors, stood where the Hospitality Parklet is today at the corner of Baltimore and North Liberty Streets. Three of the apartments housed beauty salons and offices. The Maze Parklet on North Centre Street was then the site of the Hub Men's Clothing Store.
Some of the old established stores in Downtown Cumberland in 1950 were Hill's Toy Store on North Centre Street, the H.U.F. Flurshutz and Son Furniture Store on North Centre Street, the Lear and Oliver Ice Cream Parlor, the Heinrich and Jenkins Clothing Store, L. Bernstein's Furniture Store, the Post Card Shop, the Ankeney Company, the Martha Washington Candy Store, the Chicago Meat Market, Stacey's Market, Ford's Drugstore, the Sports and Hobby Shop, the First Federal Savings and Loan Association, the Western Union Telegraph Company, Chaney's Cigar Store, the Potomac Fruit Market, the Adams Shoe Repair Shop, the Central Lunch, Brook's Cafe, the Sterling Electric Company, Wolfe's Meat Market, Schonter's Furniture Store, Builders Paint and Supply Company, Collin's Used Furniture Store, the Cumberland Paint and Glass Company, and the Pittsburgh Auto Supply Store, all on North Centre Street in Downtown Cumberland.
On South Centre Street in 1950 were the Reynold's Cigar Store, the J.H. Holzshu Insurance and Real Estate Agency, the C&P Telephone Company, Walter Eyler and Sons, which sold wallpaper, the Dantzic Optical Company, Cumberland Lodge No. 63 B.P.O. Elks, the B'er Chayim Jewish Congregation, the Medical Building in which nine doctors had offices, Ali Ghan Temple City
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976