Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Downtown in 1950)

Downtown in 1950 Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


Club, the Centre Street Gasoline Service Station, McKaig's Mill Supplies, the Maryland National Guard Armory, and the Light and Decker Auto Trucks store.

The leading Downtown bookstore was Harbaugh's at 18 Baltimore Street. Hirsh the Tailor, an old established tailoring firm, was at 36 Baltimore Street and the Potomac Edison Company main office was at 69 Baltimore Street. The Pritchard Corporation, wholesale grocers, was at the corner of Union and South George Streets. The Merchants Wholesale Grocery, formerly Orrick's, was on Union Street at the B&O Railroad crossing. The Forty and Eight Club of the American Legion, the Fraternal Order of Owls Nest No. 90, and the B.P.O. Elks No. 176 all were on Harrison Street. The Sunshine Feed Store and the Southern States Co-op Store were on South George Street in the former B&O Railroad freight station building. The Tri-State Mill and Mine Supply Company and Armour and Company, handling wholesale meats, were on Commerce Street. The Union, Harrison and Williams Street B &0 Railroad crossings were open to pedestrian and vehicular traffic.


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image