Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Industry)


Industry Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



at the South Mechanic Street plant was over 450. Branch offices were in large cities in Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio. Each branch had its own manager. The business of the firm was conducted by Thomas Footer, president; Harry Footer, secretary and treasurer; and by Joseph Footer, vice president. On July 9, 1908, in the window display at the Liberty Street store, Footer's Dye Works showed an elaborate creation by the famous "Worth" of Paris. The gown was of blue satin, embroidered in gold. During the current week, Footer's received shipments of work to be done from Alaska, Cuba, Manila, and the Philippine Islands. In 1917, a reorganization of Footer's Dye Works took place. Thomas B. Finan was president and active in the management of the business. At this time (1917) the company employed 600 people, had twenty branch offices, and had now the largest and most modern plant of its kind in the United States. The week of June 20, 1925 was open house at Footer's Dye Works when several hundred visited the plant. At this time Footer's was cleaning a tremendous number of uniforms of the Army and Navy, including 500,000 white sailor suits which were being cleaned and bleached. Two railroad tank cars of white benzine were used daily. At the present time Footer's Cleaners is in operation in Laurel, Maryland, but not of the original Footer family.

5. Where was the box factory located in Cumberland? When did it operate?

Fulcher Perry Smith entered the lumber industry in 1912. Upon his graduation from Princeton University he took employment with the Cherry Lumber Company in Locust Grove, just west of Cumberland. His responsibility was to inspect and buy cherry lumber for the mill operation. They manufactured




ID:
achm051

Page #:
51

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image