Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)


Virginia Avenue Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



extended from Oldtown Road up Chapel Hill and down Virginia Avenue to Laing Avenue. In 1895 a horsecar line was in operation from below the B&O Railroad crossing on Virginia Avenue to the fairgrounds at the end of Virginia Avenue. This horsecar line was constructed by a real estate development company and had no connection with the Cumberland Electric Railway. In 1914, the Second Street line was connected at Second Street and Virginia Avenue to the Virginia Avenue line. The Virginia Avenue subway under the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad tracks was opened October 29, 1925. The Potomac Edison Company, owners of the streetcar line, received a request in July, 1925, to extend their line through the new Virginia Avenue subway to the B&O YMCA building. The company complied with this request and began construction of a double-track line through the subway. In November, 1925, the company extended its line over a half mile down Virginia Avenue to Mary Street. On August 24, 1930, the streetcar line on Virginia Avenue was replaced by buses.

The cornerstone for the Virginia Lane, now known as Virginia Avenue, School between First and Second Streets, was laid on September 18, 1893. In 1914, the City of Cumberland Council passed an ordinance taking the section below the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad on Virginia Avenue into the City. The designation "Egypt," often applied to that territory because of its darkness it was hoped would be speedily forgotten. The annexation would take in the Walsh and Humbird Additions, and would provide that section of Cumberland with police protection as well as street lights. The Humbird Addition was laid out in 1891 by the Humbird Land and Improvement Company and was to the left of Virginia Avenue going south. The streets in the Addition were named from the Humbird family or business associates. The street names were Offutt,




ID:
achm376

Page #:
376

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image