Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
Elder, Humbird, Mary, Roberts, and Ella. To the right of Virginia Avenue going south this section was known as the Walsh Addition and was also laid out in 1891. The names of royalty were chosen for street names, such as Queen, King, Lafayette, Lexington, Isabel, and Elizabeth. On January 8, 1900, the Utah House was opened. It was located on Virginia Avenue and Roman (Bowen) Streets. It contained 44 rooms, 31 of which were bedrooms. It had a restaurant as well as a pool and bar room. The land was purchased from the Walsh Land Company. On May 22, 1905, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company bought the Utah House (Hotel). It was converted into the B&O Railroad YMCA.
The cornerstone for the present Grace Methodist Church on Virginia Avenue near Second Street was laid in 1895. In 1887, there was a school on Virginia Avenue between First and Second Street. The principal was Mollie Bopst, the assistant was Emma Bauer. In 1894, the school on Virginia Avenue had an enrollment of 278, with E. A. Browning as principal, with four assistants. On Monday, September 5, 1898, the Cumberland City Council passed an ordinance providing that notice be given of the proposed paving of Virginia Lane, or Avenue. One councilman, Mr. Craddock, promised all the cost would be imposed on the property holders. On April 10, 1899, thirty-nine applications for liquor licenses were made with the Clerk of Allegany County Circuit Court. Eight were for saloons on Virginia Avenue. On April 19 and 20, 1899, Mrs. H. Armstrong of Chicago delivered a series of most interesting and instructive demonstrative cooking lectures under the auspices of the Cumberland Gas Light Company. The lectures were held at Robert's Hall, 110 Virginia Avenue. The gas company gave away a handsome
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976