Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
$26.00 gas stove, and in addition the gas company made all connections free. On January 16, 1900, the Cumberland Savings Bank opened on Virginia Avenue between Laing Avenue and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. H. H. Dickey was president.
In 1901 on Virginia Avenue there were two churches, nine saloons, one bakery, a cigar maker, a retail shoe store, a dressmaker, a Justice of the Peace, a meat market, and a restaurant. There were two boarding houses two clothing stores, two jewelry stores, two men's furnishing stores, and two physicians, plus three hotels, six general stores, and a laundry operated by a Chinaman, Chin Wing. There were also two barbershops, and four grocery stores.
By 1909, there were two churches, nine saloons, the Dreamland Theatre at 137 1/2, operated by G. W. Blaul and George Hoffman, on Virginia Avenue. Finkeldey's Bakery was at 182 Virginia Avenue. The Cumberland Savings Bank was at Virginia and Laing Avenues. There were five barber shops three boarding houses, a school, three drugstores, five dry good stores, a furniture store, four general stores, thirteen grocery stores, and three hotels. Mary Mattingly manufactured ice cream at 121 Virginia Avenue. There were also four meat markets, three men's furnishing and tailoring shops, one millinery store, one optician, five physicians, one plumbing shop, two restaurants, and two shoe repair shops on Virginia Avenue. Metz and Painter had a tin shop at 158 Virginia Avenue.
In 1914 the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen held a convention at the newly opened Odd Fellows Temple and hall at 214 Virginia Avenue. A program issued for this event contained these advertisements, all
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976