Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
located on Virginia Avenue: Nelson W. Russler, antiseptic shaving parlor and barber supplies, with daily papers and high class fox terriers for sale; F. A. Finkeldey's Bakery, selling ice cream, cakes, pies, confectionaries, and running wagons to everywhere at anytime, the Carpenter Hardware Company, Inc., selling all kinds of hardware and building supplies. They even sold drophead sewing machines for $20.00, guaranteed for ten years. J. E. Harrison, merchant tailor, sold suits made to measure, from $15.00 up. The people's Store at 416 Virginia Avenue, next door to the Palace Theatre, sold men's and ladies' and children's furnishings at very low prices. Klines Department Store, 400 to 406 Virginia Avenue, sold furniture, clothing, shoes and everything for the home for cash or on credit. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad YMCA, the railroad man's home away from home, had a restaurant open day and night. Streetcars stopped at the door. William C. Montignani was general secretary. The Cumberland Savings Bank on Virginia Avenue at Laing Avenue opened for business on payday night. Cohen's, at 424 Virginia Avenue, sold suits made to order from $12.50 to $50.00. "No fit, no pay is Cohen's way," ran the advertisement. The Truitt Drug Company at 237 Virginia Avenue was a house of quality and pure drugs, and sold self home remedies, paints, and kreso dip for all livestock.
The peak years on Virginia Avenue were the 1920's. In 1925 there were one hundred fourteen stores, shops and offices on Virginia Avenue. The potential for employment in South Cumberland was very good. In that section there was a glass factory, a silk mill, the N and G Taylor Tin Plate Mill, the South Cumberland Planing Mill for lumber, the Davis Lumber and Supply Company and the Cumberland Box Company. In this year, 1925,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976