Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
there were eleven barber shops, seven poolrooms and bowling alleys, and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad repair shops and roundhouse on Virginia Avenue. All were working full time. There were also on Virginia Avenue one chiropractor, two retail cigar and tobacco stores, four retail confectionary stores, one dentist, three drugstores, two retail dry goods stores, one electrical supply, appliance and light fixture store, one retail furniture store, one general store, seventeen grocery stores, including one Keystone Store, one Acme Market, a Grand Union Tea Company store, and an A&P Market. There were also four hardware stores and two jewelers. The Union Laundry was at 436 Virginia Avenue. There were also three retail meat markets, five men's furnishing stores and one millinery store. The Leader and the New Theatres were also on Virginia Avenue. The New Theatre had been called the Star Theatre. One news dealer, Robert Young, was a Notary Public at 213 Virginia Avenue. There were also three stores on Virginia Avenue that sold notions, and one paint store. Six physicians had offices on Virginia Avenue. One piano and organ dealer, the Millenson Piano Company, two dealers in radios, two real estate agencies, six restaurants, one savings bank, one secondhand furniture store, four shoe repair shops, two retail shoe stores, one soft drink store, two tailor shops, and the Western Maryland Railroad Station at the Western Maryland Railroad crossing and Virginia Avenue were on the street.
In 1935 ninety-nine business houses or stores were on Virginia Avenue, including seven physicians' offices, two dentists and one chiropractor, two theatres, one radio repair shop, sixteen restaurants, two retail bakeries, eleven barber shops, two beauty shops, five poolrooms and bowling alleys, six confectionary and ice cream stores, eleven grocery stores, six retail
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976