Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)


Virginia Avenue Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



meat markets and three men's furnishing stores. In 1935 some restaurants on Virginia Avenue had unique names, such as the American Lunch, the Eveready, the Homestead, the Lido, the National, the Redtile, and the Rendezvous. In 1935 the streetcars were no longer operating in South Cumberland. Buses were now the means of transportation.

By 1945, the Leader and New Theatres were still operating on Virginia Avenue. The operator of the Leader Theatre was Thomas W. Lloyd, who also operated a billiard and bowling alley establishment. The Capitol Bowling Parlor at 508-512 Virginia Avenue was operated by Myer "K.O." Christner, a former well-known and highly ranked boxer in the heavyweight class. The Good Fellowship Social Club was in the Odd Fellows building at 214 1/2 Virginia Avenue. Four physicians had offices on Virginia Avenue. The local Draft Board No. 1 was at 215 Virginia Avenue. In 1945 there were eighty-two business places or offices occupied on Virginia Avenue. There were also nineteen restaurants on Virginia Avenue. This included bars that served food. Packie's Bakery was at 300 Virginia Avenue at the corner of Third Street. There were nine barber shops. Chapel Hill Lodge No. 53, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, met at 214 1/2 Virginia Avenue. The Western Maryland Railroad passenger station was no longer at the Western Maryland Railroad crossing and Virginia Avenue. 1945 showed four places of worship on Virginia Avenue, including the Holy Cross Episcopal Church at 16 Virginia Avenue, the Grace Methodist Church at 130 Virginia Avenue, the Church of God Gospel Mission at 420 Virginia Avenue, and the Salvation Army at 505-509 Virginia Avenue.

By 1955 there were 105 business places on Virginia Avenue, which did not include three physicians' offices, a chiropractor, and two dentists.




ID:
achm381

Page #:
381

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image