Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)


Virginia Avenue Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Eight grocery stores and one health food store were on Virginia Avenue in 1955. The Cumberland Savings Bank had moved to Virginia Avenue at Second Street. There were nine barber shops. The New Theatre was at 225-229 Virginia Avenue. There were three drugstores. The Scarpelli Funeral Home was at 108 Virginia Avenue. There were also four automobile service stations. The location that had housed the Leader Theatre was now listed as vacant. The Odd Fellows building at 214 1/2 Virginia Avenue was now the Good Fellowship Temple Association. The Good Fellowship Social Club, Inc., had social quarters in the basement of this building. There was the Virginia Peanut Shop at 210 Virginia Avenue and the Peanut Shop Confectionary at 216 Virginia Avenue. There was the South Cumberland Hunting Club at 217 Virginia Avenue and the Old Homestead Social Club at 239. The South End Republican Club at 332-334, the Fourth District Democratic Club, Inc., at 340, and the South End Democratic Club at 429, were on Virginia Avenue. On Virginia Avenue in 1955 there was also the Pixie Shop, selling children's clothing; the Wonder Bar; the Homestead Barber Shop; Don's Notion Shop, selling cigars; the Little Ritz Restaurant; Joe's Barber Shop; The Bobbie Shop clothing store; Lou's Auto Store; Nu-Super Market groceries; the Subway Tavern; Nellie's Place Restaurant, and the K-Bar Restaurant.

In 1965, there were eighty-one business places on Virginia Avenue. This did not include six physicians and dentists and one chiropractor. There were six barber shops. No theatre existed on Virginia Avenue in 1965. The Leader Theatre had closed and in its place was the South Cumberland Business and Civic Association. The Holy Cross Episcopal Church had moved from 16 Virginia Avenue to its new house of worship on Brookfield Avenue at the




ID:
achm382

Page #:
382

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image