Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
corner of Greenway Avenue. In its place on Virginia Avenue was the Chapel Hill Temple. The United States Post Office had moved from Virginia Avenue and Third Street to 117-119 Virginia Avenue near the Virginia Avenue School. The Scarpelli Funeral Home had a parking lot across the street at 107-109 Virginia Avenue. Other business houses on Virginia Avenue having parking lots were The Cumberland Savings Bank, Millenson's Furniture Company, and Keech's Drugstore. In the Good Fellowship Temple Association building, formerly the Odd Fellows Temple, ten organizations, either fraternal or labor, met. There were five automobile service stations. Automobile accessories could be bought at Lou's Auto Parts at 517 Virginia Avenue. Automobile body repairs were performed at the Queen City Auto Body Shop, 825 Virginia Avenue. Used cars were sold at Gulick's at Fifth Street and Industrial Boulevard, and at Jack's Used Car Lot, 116 Virginia Avenue. Two bowling alleys were on Virginia Avenue. There were also six social and business clubs and associations on Virginia Avenue, six grocery stores and seven restaurants.
In 1975 two churches, two beauty shops, two self-service laundries, two physicians, one chiropractor, two dentists, and six social and business clubs were on Virginia Avenue. Four automobile service stations, one dance studio, two grocery markets, and nine restaurants and taverns were also on the street. The South Cumberland branch of the public library was at 303 Virginia Avenue in the former location of the United States Post Office Station A. The post office had moved to its new building at 117 Virginia Avenue. The Virginia Avenue public school had been razed and in its place was a metered parking lot. The Light Cinema Theatre opened Wednesday, April 9, 1975, at 308 Virginia Avenue in the former Millenson Furniture warehouse. The opening program was
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976