Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)


Virginia Avenue Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



"Brannigan" starring John Wayne.

Virginia Avenue was not without its major fires and near disasters. On February 25, 1905, a double house at 169 Virginia Avenue, property of John Showacre, and occupied by A. W. Stanhagan and Oscar Albright and their families, was destroyed by fire and the adjoining property, also owned by Mr. Showacre and occupied by Peter Mouse, Sr., was badly damaged. The blaze was only checked after hard work on the part of the Chapel Hill, South Cumberland, and Pioneer Hose Companies. The firemen were greatly retarded in their work by several frozen water plugs. The loss amounted to about $2, 500.

On June 2, 1908, fire destroyed thirty-six stalls at the racetrack at the end of Virginia Avenue. The loss was about $1,200. Several horses and some stable equipment were rescued from the flames. New stables were erected for the coming meet.

On July 21, 1908, several thousand dollars worth of property was destroyed at 4:30 AM when the W. C. White building at the corner of Virginia Avenue and Third Street was discovered to be on fire. South Cumberland, Central and the West Side fire companies and the Chapel Hill volunteer hose company managed to do effective work in subduing the flames. The fire had made great headway in the building before being extinguished. The contents of the building suffered chiefly from water which had to be poured on to save the building and its contents. The building was erected in 1899 by former Cumberland Mayor Warren C. White. The first floor was occupied by the Truitt Drug Company drugstore and Workman and Hansel, grocers. The second floor consisted of two apartments tenanted by Dr. F. L. Barkdoll and Theodore Deatlehauser. The third floor was fitted up for lodge rooms and each night in




ID:
achm384

Page #:
384

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image