Cumberland, Maryland (Virginia Avenue)
in order to prevent further trouble. The Diamond Bowling Alleys and Poolroom, owned by Howard E. Chaney and Andreas Caldwell, occupied the cellar of the Odd Fellows building. They had moved to their new home several doors further down on Virginia Avenue just a few days earlier, but all of their former fixtures, with the exception of the bowling alleys, were still in the building. A soda fountain, several show cases, a number of pool tables and fixtures, and chairs were in the cellar when the accident happened. Had the accident happened a week earlier, a number of persons might have been seriously injured or probably killed in the Diamond Alley below. The damage to the equipment in the cellar was estimated at about $1,000 by Howard E. Chaney. The accident was caused when a long girder which ran longitudinally gave away. It was not known why the girder failed, but an investigation was made later.
Theatres on Virginia Avenue were the Electric Theatre in 1907 with E. M. Williams, proprietor. On February 27, 1907, Millard Twigg and Roy Catlett took over the management of the Buffalo Theatre on Virginia Avenue where they proposed to give musical and moving picture entertainment at popular prices. There were also the Poli Theatre in 1910, the Central Theatre between Third and Fourth Streets, the Palace Theatre in 1911 with O. W. Blaul as proprietor, the Dreamland Theatre between Fourth and Fifth Streets, and the Leader Theatre in the Odd Fellows building. On July 28, 1914, an advertisement in a local newspaper announced the opening of The New Theatre on Virginia Avenue. Newly furnished and decorated by the Fisher Brothers, who were managers, it featured Universal Service, the pictures passed by the National Board of Censorship. Admission was five cents. On September 16, 1914, the
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976